Saturday, April 18, 2009

Class

Taking a religion class in college.... what an undertaking!
I am in a Modern Spiritual Masters Class that is centered around Roman Catholicism Masters.....
If I have learned anything in the class, it is that I believe MORE in my beliefs and have justified reasons for them. Sometime I will be reading and I will actually agree with the Masters. In the reading I have to do for class on Tuesday, I ended up actually agreeing with three things of Flannery O'Connor.

1) Acknowledgment of Christ

"To acknowledge Christ means acknowledging himself as a sinner."

Romans 3:23-24
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through redemption that came by Christ Jesus.


2) Action of Christian's life

"The creative action of the Christian's life is to prepare his death in Christ."

Luke 9:23
The he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."


3) Hell

"Hell is what God's love becomes to those who reject it. Now no one has to reject it. God made us to love Him. It takes two to love. It takes liberty. It takes the right to reject. If there were no hell, we would be like the animals. No hell, no dignity. And remember the mercy of God. It is easy to put this down as a formula and hard to believe it, but try believing the opposite, and you will find it too easy. Life has no meaning that way.... "

Woah! After I read that, I ended up reading it again, and again! it just clarified sooo much! Especially since in class, with is all discussion based, we have had the debate on if everyone is going to heaven or not.... and I was like, "no!" and everyone else but one other sister of me where like, "Yes!" but after reading this paragraph, it just helps me translate so much to those who don't believe!

The question to ask the non-believers (thanks to Tom Short) : If you were wrong, would you want to know it?

1 comment:

  1. Wow- I really like that last quote. God doesn't force Himself on us: we have a choice. People don't understand that if they choose to reject God, they are accepting their own punishment. Why do people think that they can reject God and still go to Heaven? I just don't understand that.

    ReplyDelete