Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Two Cents

At bible study last night we were talking on the topic of The World. People are all about themselves and all about the World. I saw this more and more after I came to college. Why are people at college? To get a good job, make money, and become rich.... duh!

I use to be of this world. I didn't have much growing up, and I always promised myself I would live a better life then I grew up in, and I would give my children, if that is God's will, a better life then I had growing up. Not to down play my mother, she worked extremely hard raising two girls by herself after going through the tragedy of losing her husband, she just didn't make much money. We got by, and here I am at Drake.

I wanted to be a Pharmacist because they make a lot of money and I loved Chemistry, what a perfect combination, or so I thought. I made plans.... but God changed them.

I applied to Drake with intentions of getting into pharmacy school, that didn't happen. I then thought I was going to do research, but my heart was no where in it, like I thought it was. I realized, after coming to Drake, that I loved being with people. And I always knew I loved kids, so education it is. I have changed my major for the better and it took me a long time to come to this. But no where in my thoughts was, "man, I'm not going to make as much money..."

I consider this a blessing! So many people, my mother included, asked me what I was thinking when I told them. I stood my ground, talked with God about this decision, and I believe I made the best decision that was best for me.

Luke 21:2-4
He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

This poor woman put the only two cents she had in the offering. She gave it all to Him. What did two cents buy her? His acceptance.

No matter what we have or what we do not, we can always be sure we have one thing, and that is the Lord and salvation.

Jeremiah 10:15
They are worthless, the objects of mockery;
when their judgment comes, they will perish.

No matter how much you have, how much are you willing to give up for the Lord? Some of us, it is everything like the woman in Luke, others it is all but our "worldly" possessions.

Mark 10:21-22
"Teacher," he declared, "all these (commandments) I have kept since I was a boy."
Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said, "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

How much are you willing to give? What will be your treasure?

1 Corinthians 3:11-13
For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay, or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful :) I really like that last question... how much are we really willing to give? So often we make things of this world our treasure!

    ReplyDelete